Pastry Chef Job Description
- To assume full responsibility for all aspects of the daily Pastry operation for the entire Galley Department as well as controlling of all costs.
- To take active part in the actual food preparation and to ensure that desserts and pastries are consistently prepared according to the highest possible standards.
- To manage the Pastry Staff and to ensure that Pastry equipment is maintained properly, that the highest standards of cleanliness are kept and that safe food handling is practiced at all times.
- To do additional duties in other departments such as stores loading.
- To ensure that a six star service is provided at all times and to deal with Guests complaints and comments in an efficient and timely manner.
Reports Directly to
- Executive Chef (Onboard)
- Executive Chef (Onboard)
- Hotel Director (Onboard)
Directly in Charge of
- Chef de Partie Pastry or Commi Chef
- To oversee the daily Pastry & Bakery operation, safe food handling of Pastry & Bakery personnel and maintenance of all Pastry & Bakery equipment.
- To take active part in the actual food preparation.
- To ensure that desserts and pastries are consistently prepared according to the highest possible standards.
- To guide the Pastry & Bakery Staff and to ensure that the entire Pastry & Bakery Department is updated with relevant shipboard information at all times.
- To assume full responsibility for all aspects of the daily Pastry & Bakery operation.
- To ensure that all Pastry & Bakery Staff comply with the latest Health and Sanitation regulations at all times (HACCP and all other Port Health Authorities) and overseeing the entire cleaning procedures in the Pastry & Bakery Department.
- To know the requirements of the menus and to forecast and Requisition all Pastry & Bakery items.
- To ensure that any Maintenance issues in the Pastry & Bakery areas are reported in a timely manner and that the work orders are followed up on accordingly.
- To monitor the inventory of the Pastry & Bakery Department.
- To adhere to, and to ensure that the Pastry & Bakery Department Staff adheres to all Company Policies and Procedures, Manuals and Directives.
- Other responsibilities, as assigned, but not limited to the above.
- To assist the Executive Chef in controlling the food cost as well as the operations costs in the Pastry & Bakery Department as required by CCI, maintaining given standards and product quality.
- To monitor and control the use of consumables in the Pastry & Bakery Department.
- To monitor and control overtime for the Pastry & Bakery Staff.
- To ensure that Company property is maintained properly and treated with respect at all times.
- To ensure that the proper use of Personal Protective Equipment in the Pastry & Bakery work areas is implemented at all times.
- To ensure that Safe Lifting Techniques are practiced at all times in the Pastry & Bakery Department.
- To ensure all newly hired Pastry & Bakery Staff is instructed on all Safe/Proper Galley Equipment handling and to ensure that Safe/Proper Galley Equipment handling is practiced at all times.
- To do In Port Manning duties as scheduled and as required by Company policy.
- Emergency Duties:
- To follow instructions on Safety Card.
- To participate in Guest/Crew Drills as per instructions.
- Other safety responsibilities, as assigned, but not limited to the above.
Team Education & Training
- Introduction of Job Duties and Departmental functions including continuous on-the-job-training and Safe Lifting Techniques for the Pastry & Bakery Staff.
- To follow up and maintain a continuous Training Program in regards with International Pastry Techniques.
- Crystal Basics training and enforcement for pastry Galley Staff.
- Identification and Development of all Crew members with Supervisory potential.
Team Communication and Meetings
- To communicate with the Executive Chef on a regular basis.
- To encourage and demonstrate good communication, excellent teamwork and continuous training, coaching and counseling.
- Culinary Institute Diploma or apprenticeship as Patissier required.
- Minimum of three (3) years’ experience in a luxury food operation as Assistant Pastry Chef or two (2) years’ experience onboard a luxury cruise ship in the respective area preferred.
- A sound knowledge of culinary arts and fine dining is essential.
- Very strong, balanced background in International Cuisine and Cooking Techniques.
- Highly motivated with a strong drive and high level of energy and flexibility.
- Very good spoken English (needs to score at least 70% in the onboard English proficiency test).
- Must have very good communication skills.
- Must have excellent organizational skills and show attention to detail.
- Must possess excellent leadership skills and the ability to interact with all levels of people.
- Must be able to remain calm under pressure.
- Needs to have an outgoing personality and has to possess a positive attitude, maintaining a friendly and approachable demeanor at all times.